10.27.2010

some advice worth reading

I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to "health advice". There are so many opinions out there and I see so many people believe whatever anyone tells them when it comes to health, diet and exercise without thinking logically or doing any of there own research. I'm a full believer in logic and simplicity when it comes to health, but thats a whole other topic. With cold and flu season upon us I thought I'd share this interesting tidbit of information from Mercola.com (which seems to be a pretty good resource).

"There are a number of ways to ensure you won't end up with a cold. One of the most important is to make sure you optimize your vitamin D levels year-round.

In addition, there's compelling evidence that seasonal influenza is little more than a symptom of vitamin D deficiency!"

I think it makes sense. Hello, flu season is during the part of the year the sun shines the least. Even more interesting was this video:

I have never gotten a flu shot and I honestly cannot remember the last time I had the flu. In fact, usually tons of people I know that get the flu shot end up getting the flu. I swear these companies inflate the truth and spread it through the media to get everybody hyped up for nothing. Anyways don't get the flu shot because its really just a painful, annoying joke. 
ps. literally everytime i wrote the word "flu" i wrote "flue"

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you Mickelle. I think there are people out there who want to make money by scaring people into getting things they don't need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did NOT get the flu shot last year or EVER before. We had the flu last year. It was horrible. It took me almost a month to recover. Luckily my kids bounced back quite quickly. Riley had some respiratory issues all winter (he's asthmatic) but who know what really caused those....ANYWAY, I'm not a germaphobe, I don't mind getting sick however I think this guy on the video is an idiot for 2 reasons. 1)-No one claims people are dying of the flu, at least not in the records I read, it's all from complications like pneumonia. He's trying to uncover something that is out there for everyone to know. Next...tanning beds? really? isn't that a "toxin" in and of itself? Our bodies story vitamin D. So long as our exposure is high enough in the summer, it can take us through the winter.

    I love you Mickelle but I can't help but wondering if you liked this so much because essentially this guy is an advocate for an endless summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gwen-hahaha! you know me too well. i don't agree with the tanning bed thing either... "safe tanning beds", really?? I had never heard the vitamin D deficiency thing so i thought it was interesting. but i like hearing your opinion :)

    ReplyDelete