9.30.2015

Currently.


Reading: Nothing! How embarrassing. The last book I read was Zero to Five: 70 essentials parenting tips based on science. SUCH A GOOD BOOK! If you're a parent that is, otherwise probably pretty boring. Mindy Kaling's new book just came out Why Not Me and I can't wait to get my paws on that. I prefer the audiobook when the author is a comedian, but I think I'll get this one on kindle next! Absolutely loved her first book.

Eating: A lot of smoothies lately of the strawberry-banana persuasion. They have been my "sugar-fix" lately. Ok and chocolate chips. Also have made these taco lettuce wraps a few times this month.

Thinking about: I've been having a lot of thoughts on the pressures around us to be more. I feel like I'm constantly bombarded with quotes and messages on Pinterest and Instagram that are 100% meant to be inspirational. Messages that are telling the audience to stop being a dreamer and start doing. Or work today so you'll be happy tomorrow. Lately they are making me feel like i'm supposed to be doing more. Like being just a mom is so basic. I realize that is not the intention, but that is how I'm feeling! Entrepreneurial moms seem to be all the rage these days. Ladies who work from home, making money, and are still a wonderful mother. I think that is great, if that's what you want to do. I follow an Instagram account @heymamaco that features many of these moms. And it's made me feel like a bit of a bum. Everyone seems to have an Etsy shop or some kind of side business or sews cool dresses, or diaper bags or what not on top of motherhood. Recently I've been thinking....but what if I'm happy RIGHT NOW doing what I'm doing right now? Is that allowed??? I don't make any money and I'm OK with that. We have everything we need and I like having this time with just Lucy and the tiny amount of free time I have to myself. It seems like my social media feeds are screaming at me to DO MORE! Well I don't want to right now!! I want to live in this moment and enjoy it. Perhaps there is not something I am more passionate about right now. I want to focus on being a mom right now. A slower pace to life has become important to me as I've gotten older. I've realized I'm happier when I'm not running around like a chicken with my head is chopped off.

Looking forward to: A lot this month! My birthday is a couple weeks, Lucy's birthday is the end of this month AND I get to fly home to Arkansas (for just a week!) to be at my best friends wedding. Looking forward to that the most! I'm excited to see my parents and younger siblings, as well as for them to get some Lucy time. It will be a real treat. (only dreading the flight by myself with a mobile child..ahhh..prayers please).

Enjoying: Friends. They've been getting me through while Duke is gone. I'm so lucky to have met so many wonderful ladies out here and to have my old roommate out here! They make the long days shorter and the hard days easier. I'm grateful I have them to vent about anything with, to laugh with and have fun with. It's also huge to have friends who are in the same military situation as me. It's kind of hard to hear people complain that "they're husband got home at 7 today-ugh!" or "my husband is leaving for the weekend! I'm so sad". I understand their feelings are legitimate-anything out of the ordinary is hard. But it's just really hard to hear that when sometimes I go to bed without seeing my husband and he's usually gone for at least a week at a time. You know what I'm saying?! It helps so much to be in this community!

Learning: How to get a baby to sleep who doesn't want to! I don't even know where to start. She has been a great sleeper the last 5 months, but once she figured out how to stand up in her crib it was all over. It's been a rough 3 weeks. And the only naps we're getting is driving around. The only "me-time" I've had is a couple hours after she's down and before I go to bed-which I've mostly spent FaceTimeing with Duke. Oh the life of a mother!! If she wasn't so cute..

Loving: Okinawa. I feel lucky to live here. Not everyone feels that way and I feel sad for those who don't. This tiny island is filled with so much beauty. I'll probably never live so close to the beach again (10 minute walk/2 min drive). I'll never live surrounded by another culture so different from my own. So many unique situations I encounter here that I probably won't again. Every once and a while it hits me hard how much I love this place and the people that live on it. It's a special place for sure.

Ok, I feel like I complained a lot in this post--I'm sorry. This blog is supposed to be about happy things. But sometimes life gets to me! This month has been harder on me than any other time with Duke gone (not sure why). I try so hard to be positive everyday, so forgive my few complaints here. Life is good.

Also, I got the idea for this post from Something Sweet. She has a link up if you want to participate too.

11 comments:

  1. I didn't think your post was complaining at all. It was a good reminder for me to be more sensitive because I am totally one of those moms who whines that her husband came home at 7:00! Glad you have a good support system. 😄

    Briahna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i get it! everyone is allowed to complain, but maybe just know who you're complaining to! ;)

      Delete
  2. I feel the exact way about the whole stay at home mom thing. I've been sooo lazy these days, usually not leaving the house or getting dressed before 2 and I feel like I should feel like I need something more, but I'm really happy in this phase of life ha! And man oh man I miss my oki friends aka you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i knew we were kindred spirits! miss you! I was just thinking today that technically you're supposed to still be out here. :(

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh Mickelle, I have felt the exact same feelings lately about social media and all the entrepreneurial moms out there. I honestly don't know how they do it all. I just know if that were me something or someone would get neglected in my life. So for right now I strongly feel that my purpose in life is to be a mom and I am 100% ok with this. Because really that is the most important work I can be doing now and I feel Reese deserves more of my time than I'm already giving her. I seriously just had the same conversation with both my sister and Scott. I could go on and on about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats so funny! well i'm totally on board with you. We need to chat soon!

      Delete
  4. What every one of those inspirational quotes is pushing us towards is happiness. And how blessed are you to be able to soak up all those sweet baby moments. Being "just" a mom is a beautiful thing! I'm in the same boat as you, it can feel like you're never quite doing enough. ❤️ You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am terrible at reading and I wish I wasn't I just have so many other things going on and I am one of these people that like to read a book without stopping for kids/cooking/cleaning/life etc so I only do it when I feel on top of life! I think we tend to put pressure on ourselves, I think people have different wants & needs and its ok to be different. As a mother of a kindergartener I can honestly say that while the days may seem long the years are short...before you know it Lucy will be off at school, participating in sports and wanting to hang out with friends more & more, so treasure these days you have with her especially if this is what makes you happy. However if you get to the point where you want to work you will probably feel the pressures of needing to be a stay-at-home mom, but you know what, some people need to work (whether it be money or adult conversation or even just a little break) and guess what thats ok too! I am glad that you are happy right now but I am sorry you have been feeling the pressures. Okinawa is amazing isn't it, I agree I feel sad for those who don't feel the same way, but thats ok too!

    ReplyDelete