3.30.2015

Kindness

"Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known. Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last a lifetime." -Joseph B Wirthlin

I have been thinking about kindness a lot lately. I just got back to Okinawa a week ago and Duke has been gone for about 2 months now. It's never easy when your husband is gone. And it's definitely harder with a baby on board. However this experience has let me see the kindness of others in this world and I have been so touched.  
I flew home with Lucy and naturally was pretty worried for our long flights. The way back was about 30 hours of traveling. We also flew to utah while in the states. All this traveling made me realize how much goodness there is in the world! I had many offers from men to help me with my bags, and doors. One guy carried my 2 carryon items onto and off of a bus for me--such a small act--yet I was so touched that he offered and gladly did it. (Luckily I didn't have carryons flying internationally bc that was a giant pain!). On both long flights I sat by the kindest people who told me "let me know if you need anything and I'm happy to help". Not to mention my friend with a baby who came to pick me up at 10 pm after my flight was delayed.
 When I got home I noticed my lawn was practically a jungle in back. So I thought I better hire someone to mow it. Then I came home from church yesterday and noticed my lawn was mowed! My nicest next door neighbors had mowed it, knowing that Duke was deployed.

 I feel lucky to know such kind people and happy to know that the world is still full of kind people. I'm also grateful because it has motivated me to look for ways to go above and beyond for people. Even so much as a kind word can really make someone's day. I hope that we can all be strive to be a little more kind each day :).
 In other news Lucy, Coree and I did a little exploring today. Springtime is absolute perfection in okinawa. Beautiful sunny skies and perfect temperatures without the oppressing humidity.

4 comments:

  1. what a lovely post, there is a lot of kindness in the world...as I get older I see it more than I used too! I love springtime here in Oki :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree..maybe I appreciate it more as I get older too

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! Glad to hear that you had a pleasant traveling experience with the little one!

    ReplyDelete