11.22.2013

Naha Tug of War


My first Japan post! The first cultural/sightseey thing we did was go to the annual Naha Tug-of-War. It's an annual festival that dates back to the 17th century. It's a representation of the the competition between the two rulers in the Naha area back in the olden days. They shut down the street when the event starts and thousands of people show up for it. I believe I heard it's also in the Guinness Book of World Records for largest tug-of-war or something to that effect. I mean look at that rope! We got there early and had some of the food from the street vendors and walked around a bit. And then waited for the event to actually start. It was pretty cool. Lots of costumes going on and involvement from all age groups. Here are some pictures!
my favorite part- the big gold ball opened with balloons and confetti!!
woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment